Car accidents in Houston can be devastating, and unfortunately, they occur far too often. With Houston’s population continuing to grow, the risk of serious car accidents is also on the rise. It’s important that drivers in the Houston area understand the dangers of car accidents.
Think of the type of vehicle you drive to the roads you choose to take. There are things you can do to protect yourself. Just like how you can protect your rights after an accident by hiring a Houston car accident lawyer. Understand the risks and take the necessary precautions so you can help you avoid a serious car accident in Houston.
Types of Car Accidents in Houston
We know several different types of car accidents that can occur in Houston. The type of accident you get into will determine the type of car accident injury you sustain and, therefore, the severity of your injury. Here are some types of accidents you should know:
- Rear-end car accidents in Houston – These car accidents occur when one car rear-ends another car. The majority of rear-end collisions happen when a driver attempts to stop but fails to bring the car to a complete stop before hitting the car in front of them.
- Sideswipe/Angle car accidents in Houston – These types of car accidents in Houston occur when one car sideswipes another car, or two cars sideswipe each other at an angle. This kins of accident in Houston are often the result of not minding the gap between cars.
- Head-on car accidents in Houston – These types-of-car-accidents-in-Houston occur when two cars are travelling in opposite directions and collide head-on. These types-of-car-accidents-in-Houston are typically the result of going beyond the speed limits for the conditions or failing to yield the right-of-way.
- Rear-end collisions with pedestrians in Houston – Rear-end collisions with pedestrians are usually the result of a driver failing to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian.
Causes of Car Accidents in Houston
There are many causes of car accidents across the country. There are a variety of strange and unexpected questions surrounding the causes of car accidents, one such being is it illegal to drive barefoot? Learning the law regarding driving safety laws such as this question might help you. In Houston, the most common causes of car accidents are:
- Distracted driving – According to a study from the Texas Department of Transportation, approximately 90% of car accidents in the Houston area are due to driver error. The most common types of driver errors leading to car accidents in Houston include distracted driving, driving too fast for the conditions, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driver error when merging – Driver error when merging is one a common cause of accidents in Houston. When one car fails to yield the right-of-way to another car, merging accidents often result.
- Driver error when changing lanes – Driver error when changing lanes is another cause of car accidents. When one driver fails to signal their intention to change lanes or fails to yield the right-of-way to another car, lane change car accidents are likely to result.
Factors That Increase the Risk of Car Accidents in Houston
Some number of factors can increase the risk of car accidents in Houston. They include:
- Poor road conditions – Poor road conditions can lead to car accidents in Houston. When road conditions are less than ideal, the risk of car accidents goes up. Drivers should be especially careful when driving in inclement weather, during bad storms, or on poorly maintained roadways.
- Excessive speed – Driving too quickly can lead to car accidents in Houston. Always drive below the speed limit to reduce the risk of car accidents.
- Driving while distracted – Driving while distracted can have disastrous consequences in Houston. Drivers whose minds are elsewhere while behind the wheel are more likely to cause a car accident. To reduce the risk of car accidents caused by distracted driving, keep your cell phone out of reach, and avoid driving when you are too tired.
Ways to Reduce the Risk of Car Accidents in Houston
Some number of steps you can take are:
- Always wear your seat belt – Houston is a seat belt city. Make sure you buckle up every time you get behind the wheel.
- Don’t drive distracted – Put your phone away when driving. Even if you’re stopped at a red light, watch the road and keep your hands on the wheel are the best ways to avoid a car accident.
- Don’t drive too quickly – Driving too quickly can lead to car accidents in Houston. Always drive at a speed that is safe for the current conditions.
- Keep your car in good repair – When your car is in good shape, it is less likely to break down and less likely to result in a car accident. Make sure you get regular maintenance and repairs, and you will be better prepared to handle a car accident if one occurs.
Types of Injuries Resulting from Car Accidents in Houston
There are a number of different injuries that can result from car accidents in Houston. The type of injury you sustain will depend on the type of accident you are involved in. The most common types of injuries resulting from car accidents in Houston include:
- Brain injury – A brain injury is one of the most serious types of injuries that can result from a car accident. Brain injuries can result in cognitive impairment, mental health issues, and even death in some cases.
- Spinal cord injury – A spinal cord injury can result in paralysis, loss of feeling, and other serious complications.
- Broken bones – Broken bones are one of the most common types of injuries that result from car accidents.
- Internal bleeding – Internal bleeding can be dangerous and even life-threatening in extreme cases.
- Burn injuries – Burn injuries are another common type of injury that results from car accidents. They can, however, be easily prevented by wearing the right safety gear. Such as a seat belt and a seat belt extension.
Steps to Take After Being Involved in a Car Accident in Houston
Let’s say you are involved in a car accident in Houston. The first thing you should do is check yourself and any others involved in the crash to make sure no one is seriously injured. Next, exchange information with the other driver and/or passengers. If there are witnesses, ask them to stay at the scene and get their contact information. If you are in a position to do so, get the names and contact information of any law enforcement officers who respond to the scene.
So you are in the immediate aftermath of a car accident. It can be easy to feel uncertain about what to do. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to protect yourself after being involved in a car accident to help minimize the disruption to your daily life.
Car accidents in Houston can be devastating, and unfortunately, they occur far too often. With Houston’s population continuing to grow, the risk of serious car accidents is also on the rise. It’s important that drivers in the Houston area understand the dangers of car accidents. Also take measures to reduce their risk of becoming involved in a crash.
From the type of vehicle you drive to the roads you choose to take, there are a number of steps you can take to stay safe on the roads. Understanding the risks and taking the necessary precautions can help you avoid being involved in a serious car accident in Houston.